UMMA Study Cases
Assigned: Thursday, April 2, 2015
Due: Tuesday, April 23, 2015 (beginning of class)
Duration: 22 days
Exhibit Open: Monday, April 5, 2015, 8am
Exhibit Close: Sunday, April 19, 2015, 5pm
For this assignment we'll be visiting a hand-picked selection of graphic design ephemera arranged especially for our History of Graphic Design class.
The works will be on display in the Study Cases in the lower level of the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA) during the dates listed above.
Please note that this is not a group field trip, but rather, a trip that each student will arrange independently. The duration of this mini-exhibit is listed above.
Visit the UMMA Study Cases.
Choose three pieces from the exhibit to highlight in the form of an essay (to be written after visiting the museum).
Photograph each of the three pieces as well as a photo of the exhibit in its entirety (four photos total) to be included with the final submission. Please be discreet when taking your pictures and remember: no camera flash! (2 points)
Compile your images and answer the following questions about each piece in your submission. The arrangement and/or layout is up to you.
- Who produced this image and during what time period?
Site the artist/designer name, the creation date, and the title of the piece.
- How was this image produced and how can you tell?
Include at least one extra piece of information about the production method, beyond what is already listed on the label.
- What historical style and/or movement does this piece represent?
Describe key indicators in the image.
- How does this piece compare to other work from the same era?
How is it different, how is it the same?
Each student is free to choose their submission method, but must be submitted by the due date listed above. (3 points)
- Submitted as a single Text Post to the Class Blog
- Compiled into a single Google Document and shared via Google Drive
- Compiled into a single Word document and sent via email
- Alternative submission methods are welcome but will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
University of Michigan Museum of Art
525 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI
The UMMA Study Cases are located in the basement of the Maxine and Stuart Frankel Wing and are open daily from 8:00 am–8:00 pm.
Tuesday–Saturday: 11 am–5 pm
Sunday: 12–5 pm
Visit the UMMA Visitors page for more information.